Friday, February 1, 2013

A little background is required

I was not always so obsessed with Disney. Heck, at one point, someone could say I was actually somewhat normal. I've been to Disneyland approximately 3-4 times since I was a child. The last time was about 10 years ago. On that last occasion I was newly married and I was ridiculously excited about going. My new husband had never been to Disneyland or Disney world and I saw this as a great opportunity to share an important part of my childhood with him and have something we could both love. It took us 1 year to save up the money to go and  I was worse than a kid in a candy store with glee at the planning process for our trip. When we finally went cheeks hurt from all the smiling I did when we were there. Disney truly is a magical place. I figured it was only magical because I associated it with my childhood and, well heck... They play nothing but happy music all day long!
Afterwards we decided that someday we'll go back and we'll go to Disney world since neither of us have experienced that. We knew we wanted to start a family so we decided we would wait  until we were done having children and that they were at the age where they could really appreciate and participate in most (if not all) that Disney would have to offer. Knowing it was that far off down the road made it easy to just shelve any excitement and, for the most part, forget about the idea all together. Things were calm.
Then we had our two boys and time flew by quickly. About 1 1/2 ago we knew that the time was getting near and if we were going to make it a reality... Let's start the planning and the saving. We knew we'd really want to have a great time and Disney world is expensive so the plan was to go in 2014. As usual, I designated a notebook and started jotting down the different things we would need to budget for and explore various way to save money.
THAT'S WHEN THE OBSESSION STARTED
First nice and slow.. Who doesn't like to find a good deal? Who doesn't get a tiny high when they know they've saved money? But, over time it has built in intensity to the boiling point.... To the point where we bumped up our trip by 6 months because the thought of waiting 22 more months was unbearable... But 15 months seems relatively do-able.
Here are the things I blame for my illness:
1. My cousin works for Disney world
2. My pastor and his family also love Disney world and had all sorts of fabulous advice for me.
3. The Internet..... It's just so much easier to access all sorts of helpful information than it was 10 years ago.
4. The sheer delight in my children's eyes anytime they see anything Disney related
5. The nostalgia of my joyful times and Disneyland.
6. The fact that this trip is a complete surprise to my kids and I'm picturing the overwhelming wave of joy that will hit them when we go.
7. Pinterest.... no really, pinterest is wonder full.....and evil!
8. We got the Disneyland Kinnect game for Christmas.. So we go to Disneyland practically everyday.
9. My good friend, Sommer, is going with her family in June and she's allowing me to be her unofficial travel agent.

So now all I can think about is Disney and what we can do while we're there and how much fun we're going to have etc etc. etc.
To spare my family and friends the grief of having to listen to me talk about this upcoming trip non-stop on my facebook page, I'm taking it up to making my own blog. A little get away where I can spout off all of the things I'm finding and enjoying without having to force it upon others. haha.I figured, worst case scenario, I'll go back to fooling people into believing I'm a normal and sane person once more.

So there it is.. The background of why I'm obsessed with Disney. My intent with this blog is to share the fun things I've learned (whether it's a useful tip or a fun Disney trip craft project) and just have a release for all of this pent up obsession. I hope you enjoy it (whether it's to simply laugh at the crazy or because you're crazy like me).

No comments:

Post a Comment